Sunday 19 December 2010

Fried pickles!

The DH and I tried fried pickles the last time we were in America and we both loved them. When we got back, I decided I'd give them a go and see how they turned out. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't find everything that I need because Britain doesn't always have the same products America has and, if they do, they tend to call them something else - like pickles. Spent ages looking for pickles until I realised that here, they're called sweet cucumbers. Makes sense, I suppose, but it didn't occur to me straight away.

I finally had everything that I needed to make them yesterday - including TIME since we're snowed in at the moment. And here's what I came up with:



They're not as pretty as the ones we had at Hooters, of course, but they are pretty tasty. The first couple of batches didn't turn out very well because the batter kept coming off. It took me two goes to realise what I was doing wrong: instead of battering up the pickles (is that a word?), putting them in the fryer and lowering the basket, I needed to lower the basket, batter them up and place them directly in the oil. I also realised that it worked better if I cut the pickles in half because it made them less floppy. Maybe I should have known straight away but I'm really not the best cook.

Oh, I got the recipe from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment