Tuesday, 21 December 2010


Well, it's been an interesting couple of days here. I sent the DH out to check the garden path for me, to make sure it was safe to go down on my way to work, and what happened? He slipped and fell - and put his hand right through the front of the greenhouse.

He tried to convince me that he didn't need to go to the emergency room ("I'll just superglue it.") but when we looked at the wound and saw BONE, he lost that argument. I had to call his best friend and have him take us to the emergency room at about 11.30 last night. They did x-rays to make sure there was no other damage and then put him in a queue to have stitches - except when they went to stitch it up, they realised that he'd severed a tendon 75% which meant that he needed additional surgery.

At about 9AM they finally came around to tell the DH that they were finding him a bed in a ward and scheduling him for surgery. They told us that they expected to do the surgery sometime after 5PM and they thought he'd need to stay in overnight so we talked about it and he convinced me to go home and pick up a few things for him and his mom - who has been in the hospital for the past week with a back problem.

I caught a bus from the hospital into town, picked up what they needed and caught a bus home. That's the short version. The longer version includes being blinded by the snow and nearly falling on my face a hundred times. And my bus? Over an hour late. It slid all over the road too and the driver stopped three times to call the depot. I knew as soon as the bus stopped that I wouldn't see another one for that day which really upset me because I knew the DH would be waiting for me to come back.

So I spent an hour on the phone, trying to get ahold of the DH. Every department I got through to said they didn't have him and didn't know who did. When I did finally manage to hunt him down, he'd already been through the surgery and was in recovery. They told me that they were ready to send him home - I just needed to find him a ride.

In the middle of a blizzard.

I called his best friends but they were both stuck in the snow. His brother was stuck in Cardiff because of the snow. I called about twenty taxi firms - half of them wouldn't answer and the rest straight up said no. At his friend's suggestion, I called the hospital and asked if they could arrange an ambulance for him. The "sister" got really bitchy with me, telling me that "they had to find their own way home" and "they really needed his bed."

I was in tears, trying to figure out how to get him home. Finally, I had to call him and tell him I just couldn't find him a ride. THEN the nurses decided to try to be helpful. They said that they would do what they could to get him home. An hour or so later, the snow let up a bit and one of the DH's friends called and said he'd TRY to get to the hospital. Three hours later, the DH got home. He's stuck in a plaster cast for a week which is making him pretty crazy. He's not suppose to drive until it comes off - which I don't think is an issue since the car is snowed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment