Sunday 20 March 2011

Happy Ostara!

Today, Ostara dawned bright and beautiful. The sun was shining, the day was cool but not cold and the sky was blue. I couldn't think of a better day to celebrate the Spring Equinox.

For most people, this is a time to plant seedlings, getting their gardens underway. If you know me, you know that my green thumb is... Well... Black. Lol. I'm useless in the garden, no matter how hard I try. So Ostara holds a different meaning for me.

For me, Ostara means two things: the Goddess wears her Maiden guise and the Earth is (finally!) in bloom all around us. Instead of planting seeds, I'm planting good vibes and positive changes. I've been going through a bit of a hard time lately - and it can become all too easy to dwell on the negative things in our lives when darkness blankets the Earth. Now that the blanket has been shed, it becomes easier to see the good things in life: the little wild flowers that have just started to poke their heads through the ground, the March hare that dot the fields, the toads that have finally woken from their winter slumber.

Sometimes it can be a bit harder to see the good things in our own lives, especially when personal tragedy blots our past, worldwide tragedy lingeres in the prsent and struggle hovers in the future. But being harder to see does not mean being absent. There are good things all around - if only we open our eyes to see them. And THAT is the mentality that I hope to nuture as the Sun returns and Spring spreads Her fingers through the land. Hope will be my garden and Happiness will be the seed I plant.

Spring has always been a time for the young, for lovers and for babes. I know it can be hard to remember at times but I am not so very old myself! I may be creeping up on thirty but I'm not there yet, dammit, and I intend to embrace my inner Maiden! I will cast aside the worries that threaten to age me prematurely and find the inner playfulness that I have forced into hiding. The Godess dwells within me, as She does within us all, and it's about time I shut up and listened to Her! Today I intend to do that with laughter and dancing and by generally "making a fool" of myself - exactly as a Maiden should! :)

So... Whatever you "plant," whatever you choose to nuture this Spring I pray it comes to you in abundance. However - with whomever - you choose to celebrate, I hope it is a joyous time. I wish for the Brightest Blessings of the Lady and her Consort upon you all.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely Post thank you,
    thought you might like my Eostre/Equinox machinima film
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lZ-YKIeXww
    Happy Ostara
    elf ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely, positive post. :) No matter what people believe in, the idea of starting fresh and planting something (be it seeds, happiness, peace, love, etc.) is something I feel is universal. I hope people respond to your message here and plant something worthwhile this spring. :) Peace and Love to you, my dear. And good luck to you.
    Love,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much, both! :)

    ReplyDelete