Saturday 18 August 2012

Cold - Annie Lennox

As you know, I have a sleep problem. A lot of sleep problems, actually, but that's a whole other post. One of the biggest problems I have is getting to sleep. My brain doesn't like to shut off and the anxiety that I suffer from always seems to be worse when the lights go out.

Yeah, I'm afraid of the dark. Funny, considering...

Anyway. As if that wasn't bad enough, there's the tinitus to consider. Try sleeping with the sound of your heartbeat amplified in your ear times a hundred. It's a pain in the fucking ass. For real. I have a funky hearing aid that makes a staticy noise which helps drown out the tinitus but that's only really a daytime solution. I can always take my iPod to bed but then I run the risk of it either 1. getting stuck in my hair, 2. choking me to death in my sleep, or 3. falling off the bed and being forgotten the next morning, leaving me the long bus ride to work completely without any tunes.

(Which has obviously happened recently since I'm here bitching about it.)

So I decided to use my iPad instead since there's less of a chance of it getting stuck in my hair, killing me, or being left behind. Sure it's big and bulky but - hey! - built in nightlight, right? (Also really good because I can use it to record random story ideas that come to me in my sleep.)

Well... I took my iPad to bed last night and decided to put on some Annie Lennox because I was feeling a bit morose. (Not that you have to be morose to listen to Annie Lennox - but it helps.) I only normally listen to one or two songs of hers but I couldn't be bothered changing the settings so I ended up listening to the whole album. Just as I was about to fall asleep this song started:



I had no chance of getting to sleep after that because it's damned hard to sleep when your heart is breaking.What a powerful ballad. The line that kills me is ♫♪ Dying is easy - it's living that scares me to death. ♪♫ And, of course, Annie Lennox's voice goes right through you. This is definitely my favourite song of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment