Wednesday 10 April 2013

What I'm Watching Now: Babylon 5

Jay and I have spent the last couple of months watching Babylon 5. Normally, we have one episode of a TV show a night. With Babylon 5, it was hard to stop at four.

He insists that Bab 5 is "the best sci-fi series ever", beating Star Trek, Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and everything else. Since I'd only ever seen the first series before I couldn't agree. Now?

Yup. I agree. (Don't tell Jay that, though.)

I'll start with what I don't like. The CGI may have been state-of-the-art back in the 90's but now it's a bit hokey. Aside from that, it still holds up very well. 

One of the things that I love about Babylon 5 is that it didn't have one set style; each episode could be very different. Scattered throughout the normal episodes were ones that played out like news reports and episodes that you thought would be action packed turned out to be introspective. It kept me on my toes.

For character development and story arcs, yes, I believe it is the best sci-fi out there, even almost twenty years on. No character was exactly who you expected them to be and relationships formed between the unlikeliest of people. I've cursed at the telly, stomped my foot, and cried my eyes out. I've even had nightmares about the Vorlons and the Shadows.

And we're only up to season 5. I've been told not to expect too much from this season because it was never meant to be. Also, without two of my favourite characters, how can it be as good? (I should have known Marcus was too good to let him live. Sniff.)

Even if season 5 is less than epic, I still think Babylon 5 is some of the best television out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment