Tuesday 7 May 2013

A Day at the Pictures

Well... an afternoon, really.

Jay has been promising for some time now that he would go and see a movie with me. (He's more of a watch-it-at-home kind of guy, whereas I'm a I'd-be-at-the-cinema-every-day-if-I-could kind of gal.) He doesn't particularly want to go see Star Trek: Into Darkness with me - because he's not "really" a Trekkie, even though he's seen every Star Trek series and movie and met much of the casts - but he did agree to see Evil Dead with me instead.


My brother-in-law saw the movie the week before and told us that he didn't like it; that it was just a gorefest. Sure, it was a gorefest but... um... hello? Anyone seen the original? Yeah... that was a gorefest too.

(I should point out here that my brother-in-law doesn't like anything so his opinion doesn't really count.)

Jay didn't hate the movie but he wasn't impressed either. The original was still better, he told me.

(But Jay thinks everything was better in the '80s...)

Me? It was pretty gruesome. I don't really like a lot of gore in movies, believe it or not. I'd rather watch a mind fuck than a bloodbath. But as a remake, I thought it was good. I mean... what else could they have done? If they didn't make it gory enough, people would have complained. If they stuck too close to the original, people would have complained. If they made the daemons too similar, people would have complaint.

Basically, people were going to complain, no matter what they did.

And that's the problem with doing a remake.

No comments:

Post a Comment