Wednesday 8 January 2014

A Day at Santa's Grotto

My employer offers an awesome program that allows you to go out into the community and spend a day volunteering instead of working. As much as the company makes me bat shit crazy for a lot of other reasons, I think this program is just amazing.


I used my 2013 Day to Make a Difference helping St. David's Hospice run their Santa's Grotto. After caring for my mother-in-law during the last months of her terminal illness, I have an increased appreciation for the work that hospices do. Doing it for one person just about killed me so I can't imagine doing it day in and day out, year after year.

We helped to raise over £500 for St. David's Hospice on our Day to Make a Difference. We also had a lot of fun. It was amazing to watch the children get all excited about meeting Father Christmas and it was even better when their parents got excited about them meeting Father Christmas.


Working at Santa's Grotto was a lot of fun. (Way, way more fun than work!) I was also, surprisingly, better with the children than I thought I would be. It even made me think that I might want to actually have one. One day. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment