Saturday 4 January 2014

Homemade Holidays: Santa Spoons

Now that the holidays are done and dusted, it's time to look back at the crafts that kept me going during the darkest part of the year. 

I got these wooden spoons from Hobbycraft because I knew that I wanted to craft with them - I just didn't know what I wanted to craft. Then I came across this image while I was creating my Homemade Holidays board on Pinterest and knew exactly what these spoons were destined for:


Santa spoons!

I love crafting for the holidays (any holiday, really). Painting is not really my strong suit, though. I have to admit that I had a bit of help. I told Jay what I wanted and he drew the outlines for me. He also gave me a few tips as I worked.

"Add a bit of pink to his cheeks to make them look rosy."

"If you put a little white dot in his eyes, it'll make them stand out."


I used a combination of gouache and acrylic on these spoons and outlined everything with a black Sharpie to make it pop. With Santa's hat, I applied the white acrylic with a Q-Tip to make it look fluffy. I dabbed pink onto his cheeks with my pinky. That's pretty much the extent of my artistic ability!

1 comment: