Tuesday 29 August 2017

Ten TV Shows to Binge-Watch This Fall

If you're anything like me, you're eagerly awaiting the new fall line-up. There's no denying that TV is best in the fall, with so many new shows to choose from. But, while we wait, why not binge-watch one of these excellent older shows?
Gilmore Girls
I'm a latecomer to Gilmore Girls. I only watched it last year but immediately saw the appeal. If you haven't discovered Lorelai and Rory's unique kind of humour yet, this fall is the perfect time to do so. (And, if you have, it's never a bad time to revisit the series.) Gilmore Girls is heavy with literary references and Stars Hollow has that quintessential New England town thing going for it, which makes it a great set to cosy up with this fall.
Friday Night Lights
I won't lie and say Friday Night Lights is unlike anything you've ever seen. Especially since, you know, there's already a movie about it and all - but that doesn't take away from the series at all. You go into the television version of Friday Night Lights with a vague understanding of what's going to happen and what it's going to be like, which makes for a nice kind of familiarity. And we can never get enough football in the fall, right?
Sleepy Hollow
New England will always be part of autumn for me and the legend of Sleepy Hollow will always be part of New England. This new take definitely shakes up that old legend up. Without even mentioning how brilliant the yummy Tom Mison is as Ichabod Crane (but he totally is), there are so many reason to binge-watch Sleepy Hollow - not the least of which is the fact that it's both creepy & comical.
Vampire Diaries
Damon Salvatore. Need I say more? When the Vampire Diaries series was released, I pretty much lost my shit because I was a massive fan of the book series. Was I wrong about how much it sucked? Of course I was. Vampire Diaries quickly grew on me, even though it was nothing like the books and, yeah, Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore is a major selling point.
Scream
I love Scream. It's one of my favourite movies. When I heard that they were making a TV version I had two conflicting thoughts: 'Yay! More Scream!' and 'It'll never be any good without Matthew Lillard and Skeet Ulrich!' Wrong again! The television version of Scream doesn't have the nostalgia or the humour going for it but it really works. They did a very good job of bringing it up-to-date for modern teens.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Believe it or not, I didn't watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer until the series had come to an end. Weird, right? Vampires are so my thing. Well, that was what put me off. I didn't want to watch a show about vampires getting killed. (I know I need help. No one is arguing with you there.) Eventually, the hubs convinced me to watch it and I fell in love. We're talking about having a Buffy marathon this autumn. You in?
Pride and Prejudice
I'm sure I've said it before but I'll repeat myself: autumn is a time for the classics. Not that there's a bad time for the Pride and Prejudice mini-series. You can easily watch this one all in a single day. (Trust me, it's been done so many times. Lol.) Then, you know, do it all over again the next day. Pride and Prejudice has that golden glow of days gone by that makes it a perfect watch in the autumn.
Freaks and Geeks
It's a shame that there was only ever one series of Freaks and Geeks because it captures the essence of growing up on the outside absolutely brilliantly. Freaks and Geeks is a memory of another time but is still relevant today. And, it has Claudia Christian, which is never a bad thing! This is a great quick watch for back-to-school season.
Stranger Things
If you want a creepy series to spend those long, dark autumn nights binge-watching, Stranger Things is exactly what you've been looking for. You've got all the creepiness you could want, with a massive dose of Eighties nostalgia. The second season will be out at the end of October so you've got plenty of time to catch up!
My So-Called Life/Party of Five
I just couldn't choose between these two so... pick one. Both My So-Called Life and Party of Five are on this list for the nostalgia, for starters, but also because they capture that teen angst that brings back memories of high school. I can't pick between the two because they both focus on intense relationships, in different ways. If you've got the time, why not try both?

What does your fall binge-watching list look like? Do you have any suggestions for me? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment