Saturday 2 June 2018

10 Summer Self-Care Tips

Summer can be a lot of fun but it can also be a tricky time for physical and mental health. Don't let the heat and sun get you down! Follow these ten simple steps to Summer Self-Care to keep yourself looking and feeling great this summer:


1. Don't skimp on the sun block.
We all ought to be wearing sun block every day, really, but it's especially important during the summer months. One, melanoma is a serious threat. Two, no one wants to look like a leather football that's been left out in the sun too long when they get older.

2. Stay hydrated. 
You simply cannot live without water. If you don't get enough, you're going to start feeling it in no time at all. Your mouth will get dry, you'll be sleepy, your skin will dry out, and you'll get a headache. That's gonna ruin your fun. It's easy to dehydrate when it's this hot and sunny out so remember to drink plenty of water!


3. Keep cool.
I don't know about you but I get downright miserable when I get too hot. (Not to mention those heat-triggered migraines. Groan.) Being too hot isn't just uncomfortable, though, it's also unhealthy. If your body loses the ability to regulate its temperature, you could face risks like cramps, edema, exhaustion, or even heat stroke.

I know it can feel impossible to stay cool during the summer (Believe me, I know.) -- especially when you're on a tight budget. Have a look at a DIY air conditioner that might help. (There are so many different ways to make them!) If you have your own tips & tricks for staying cool this summer, be sure to share them!

4. Slow down.
Life just seems to get faster and faster, doesn't it? We all rush around, trying to squeeze as much as possible into every second of the day. I get it. Life's too short. There's not enough time. Here's the thing, though: the faster you go, the more you miss. The quality of time you have will increase when you slow down a little. You'll feel better, too, because slowing down will help you focus on the moment, which will improve the state of your mental health.

5. Get coastal.
I can't recommend this enough. If, like me, you struggle with overwhelming feelings and poor mental health, well... to the sea, ye mystics! There's a reason doctors used to send people to the coast to improve their health. Sea air is easy on the lungs and great for the skin, while the sound of the waves are incredibly relaxing. I've never felt worse after a day at the beach.


6. Have a DIY spa day.
Most of us just don't treat ourselves well enough. Society tells us that we have to put other people first and that means looking after ourselves last. That shit needs to stop! You can't look after other people if you're not 100%. Start by treating yourself to a home spa day. How you do it is up to you (I'm a facial mask, manicure, homemade scrub kinda person) but Bustle has some tips for making your spa day the best it can be. I'd love to hear your tips for an awesome DIY spa day, if you have any.

7. Learn to say no.
Remember what I said about society telling us that everyone else has to come first? Remember what I said? Stop that shit! You have to look after yourself! That starts with learning when to say no -- and accepting that it's okay to say no. It's. Okay. To. Say. No. You're not at everyone's beck and call. You're no one's slave. You have needs, too, but you'll never be able to fulfil them if you're overwhelmed with everyone else's.

8. Wear the damn swimsuit.
I don't think there's a person alive who doesn't have some kind of hangup about their body. We're all worrying about how we look in a swimsuit. Know what? We all look a lot better than we think we do! The human body, in all its shapes and sizes, is freaking amazing. Stop putting yourself down. Instead, put that swimsuit on, get out there, and strut your stuff. It sounds scary, I know, but I promise you'll feel (and look!) awesome.


9. Get out of the house.
I won't lie to you. This is hard for me. Summer kicks my mental health's ass. The worse it gets, the more I want to say hidden away in the safety of my own home. The more I stay at home, the worse my mental health gets. It's a nasty cycle. I'm lucky enough to have a carer (the hubs) who drags my sorry ass out of the house, even when I don't want to. (Especially when I don't want to.) If you struggle, like I do, to get out of the house during the summer, ask a friend or family member to help. You might not thank them when they show up on your doorstep, but you will thank them when the fresh air clears your head.

10. Make time to read.
Reading is a great way to slow down. It can take you away from the crazy hustle and bustle of modern life and let you travel to worlds of magic and wonder. (I'm obviously a bibliophile but my obsession doesn't mean reading isn't important.) Grab a book and sit in the shade while you read. Not only are you expanding your mind, de-stressing, and improving your concentration, you're also staying cool. Reading is a great summer activity and can be done just about anywhere. Have any suggestions for good books to read this summer? Share them here!

I guess the most important message I'm trying to get across here is look after yourselves. You might not hear it enough but you are so important!

Do you have any suggestions I've missed? Have I forgotten anything? Get in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment