Monday 3 September 2018

School Sucks! The 10 Best Back-to-School Horror Movies

I'm always surprised when I see social media posts complaining about this time of the year because I loved going back to school after summer break. Of course, school where was my family wasn't so I had a lot to look forward to.

Not everyone feels the same way, though. I know you're out there, school-haters. I know you're dragging your feet today as you head back to school. Well, I can't help you get through your first day back BUT I can give you something to enjoy when that hellish first day is over.

10. Prom Night

I'm not going to lie and say Prom Night is a cinematic masterpiece - there's a reason it's at the bottom of this list, after all - but crap can be enjoyable too. Besides, any movie is 100x better for starring Jamie Lee Curtis, right?
Prom Night is pure, mindless, slasher pulp. It's gory, predictable, and cheesy - all the reasons I love it.

Also Watch: Slaughter High
9. Teaching Mrs. Tingle

Teaching Mrs. Tingle is a guilty pleasure. It doesn't have the merit some movies that didn't make the cut did (take Happy Death Day, Carrie, and Urban Legends, as examples), but it makes me nostalgic and has one of the best actors ever in it. (Um, Helen Mirren, not Katie Holmes. How sad do you think I am?!)
The thing that makes Teaching Mrs. Tingle so enjoyable is how spiteful the teacher is. Assuming she's the film's victim would be a horrible mistake.

Also Watch: Murder by Numbers
8. Idle Hands

I almost didn't include Idle Hands on this list because there's every chance it will appear on my list of favourite Halloween movies but, in the end, I just couldn't leave it out. It's too good.
I honestly couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Idle Hands (I might have had a small crush on Devon Sawa as a kid...) but I know it's too many. Even though I've seen it so many times, it still makes me roar with laughter. It might be the cutest movie about possession ever made...

Also Watch: Jessica's Body
7. Ginger Snaps

Think getting your period sucks? You have no idea...
Everyone loves a good coming of age story and, hey, if there are also werewolves? Bonus!
Ginger Snaps is one of my favourite back-to-school horror movies because, let's be honest, it's more than a little messed up. There's a good mixture of gore and humor, without there being too much of either and I love that Brigitte & Ginger weren't any kind of normal, even before the lycanthropy came into it.

Also Watch: Blood & Chocolate
6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I'll fight anyone who says Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a bad movie.
Come at me.
I really don't get all the hate Buffy the Vampire Slayer gets. No, it's not as good as the TV series, but it's still fun and creepy.
Okay, yeah, it's a little cringe-worthy but hello? Did you live through the Nineties?!

Also Watch: My Best Friend is a Vampire
5. Final Destination

A Million Ways to Die in an American High School.
The Final Destination movies are so much more clever than you really appreciate upon first watching. The deaths are deviously devised and carried out to hilarious, horrifying effect. There isn't a Destination film I don't love.
(*cough, cough* Devon Sawa...)

Also Watch: My Soul to Take
4. The Craft

I was a teenage witch - both a factual statement and how I would describe The Craft.
The Craft deals with some pretty serious issues of race, identity, unhealthy relationships, abuse, and more. Honestly, though, you're too busy enjoying the wicked magic to think too hard about all that.
Basically, the cinematic embodiment of The Rule of Three.

Also Watch: The Covenant
3. Scream

Oh, high school... you evil, murderous bitch...
Amiright?
Scream is just too fun. It brings back memories of hanging out with friends, laughing at horror movies, and eating more junk food than I would have thought humanly possible. Oh, yeah, and wanting to kill your boyfriends...
Just me?

Also Watch: A Nightmare on Elm Street
2. Disturbing Behavior

If Disturbing Behavior teaches us anything, it's that you can't trust adults. They're all a bunch of- Wait, huh? WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M AN ADULT?!
Disturbing Behavior is basically The Stepford School, with plenty of teenage angst and nookie. You know... if that's your thing.

Also Watch:The Faculty
1. The Awakening

This surprisingly underrated movie is my number one choice for back-to-school horror. It's has that bleak, sombre feel that only British films really capture, with brilliant performances by great British actors, Dominic West and Imelda Staunton.
The contrast of intensely erotic moments followed by unexpected frights guarantee The Awakening will get your heart pounding - one way or another.

Also Watch: The Devil's Backbone


As always, I want to hear your opinions! Do you agree with my back-to-school horror favs? Get in touch on twitter (@witchybelle4u2), Facebook, or drop a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment