Thursday 24 January 2019

Movie Review: Selfie from Hell (2018)

"Selfie from Hell" was a 2015 short horror film that won all kinds of awards - and deservedly so. It scared the pants off me the first time I watched it. (And, uh, just now when I re-watched it.) As a short, "Selfie from Hell" is extremely effective. As a full-length movie? Not so much.

Selfie from Hell (2018) stars Alyson Walker as Hannah, a... well, I don't know we ever learn exactly what she does except that she works from home on her computer all day but doesn't appear to know anything about the Dark Web. My husband catches a computer virus every time he thinks about turning the damned thing on and he knows what the Dark Web is so... come on.

The short's Meelah Adams also makes an appearance in the film as Hannah's cousin, Julia, though she spends most of the film unconscious. Or... possibly dead. It's really not clear.

That's the biggest problem with Selfie from Hell; it sets up a bunch of situations it just doesn't bother to resolve or explore. For instance, Hannah has a major freak-out when she searches the internet and learns her cousin is dead. Her cousin, Julia... who's upstairs in her spare room. Ooh, clever idea. You've got me. I want to know where this goes... Oh, right. Nowhere. That's the first and last time it's mentioned.

So frustrating.

I want to make a joke here about the plot of Selfie from Hell being holier than the Vatican but I feel like it's not even worth my time.

With the success of the short, a lot of horror fans - myself included - had high hopes for the full-length version. I doubt I'm alone in being disappointed. Although the jumps are well-placed, the score tries to force a sense of urgency the action just can't live up to.

And don't even get me started on the not-so-surprise "twist" at the end.

While Selfie from Hell doesn't live up to its potential, it isn't a complete waste of time. Although the character development seems to have been abandoned at an early stage (What's up with the pseudo-romance?), the acting is decent. The lighting is also atmospheric, which makes watching it alone in the dark nervy. But, let's face it, Selfie from Hell is no Lights Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment