Saturday 19 October 2019

31 Days of Halloween: Best Horror Actors: Corey Feldman

Me: Corey Feldman is a strange addition to this list for me. Because I grew up with his movies, I had this idea in my head that Feldman was my age when, actually, he's closer to yours.

Jay: That doesn't surprise me at all. He was older than he looked when he did things like Goonies

Me: I know Goonies isn't horror and doesn't really have any place on this list but... GOONIES.

Jay: It was so well cast and had a great story. Goonies was pure escapism. Corey Feldman was good but Chunk and Sloth stole the show. 

Me: And in the not-horror-but-awesome category... Gremlins.

Jay: Well, Corey Feldman was only really a bit part in the movie but Gremlins was a fantastic film. I went to see it seven times in the cinema. The gremlins are just awesome. If you said I could have a gremlin tomorrow, I totally would. 

Me: As someone who's seen you sneak Blodwyn an entire slice of pizza, I've gotta say that would only end in tears.

Jay: But can you imagine going out drinking with those little fuckers?

Me: Okay, we may have just crossed into horror...

Before Gremlins and Goonies, Corey Feldman did Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (in 1984.) Even though it was the fourth instalment, I thought it was a great sequel. What did you think?

Jay: Yeah, it was good. You know, if they'd left it there, it would have been a fitting end. That's the problem with the big money spinners; they can't leave them alone. 

Me: Wasn't Corey Feldman in the fifth Friday the 13th?

Jay: But only at the very beginning. He was already filming Goonies at the time and could only be there for a day. It had to do with his being underage. 

If you look at Feldman in the early Eighties, he was huge. For a moment. He's still a jobbing actor now but he's not on that meteoric rise anymore. Totally living the Hollywood lifestyle, though, with the dark glasses and pretty girls. 

Me: He does look cool as fuck.

Going back to Friday the 13th: A New Beginning, though, what are your thoughts?

Jay: God. Awful. It wasn't even Jason! The ones that came after got a bit better again (except the 9th one) but never as good. 

Me: Except Jason X.

Jay: I was going to say that's the exception. It was very clever. 

Of all Corey Feldman's roles, Edgar Frog in The Lost Boys was by far the best. Edgar and Alan were fucking awesome, really hamming it up. I wasn't fussed on the second and third movies but it was nice to see Feldman reprise his role. 

Me: Edgar Frog was just hilarious. He had some of the best lines in the film.

Corey Feldman was also brilliant in Bordello of Blood which, by the way, was totally underrated. I love that one. Do you remember it?

Jay: Yes! He wasn't in it long, though, was he? It's mental how much Corey Feldman has actually done, especially cameos. In recent years, he's done mostly b-movies but a lot of them.

Me: Why do you think that is?

Jay: Drugs, I guess. 

Me: Ah. Well, I guess that makes sense, with all the abusive shit they had to go through in Hollywood. Sad, though.

Jay: It really is. 

Me: Okay, this is getting a bit too serious for a blog post. Back to the movies. One of my favourite Feldman movies is The 'Burbs with Tom Hanks. So messed up. Did you ever see that one?

Jay: Years and years ago. I vaguely remember it - but mostly for Tom Hanks. 

Me: It was comedy horror and just brilliant - in a this-is-just-wrong kind of way.

Last thing, then. We met Corey Feldman at a Collectormania yonks ago. Do you remember and what do you remember about that?

Jay: Of course. It was with the rest of The Lost Boy cast. Like you said, he looked cool. He's got that total rock star vibe, without the conceit. Feldman is a lot of fun. 

Me: He really is. Do you have anything else you want to add?

Jay: You're not going to ask me why he's on this list?

Me: I figured you'd say 'Sheer volume of work.'

Jay: ...well, yeah. But it's also because he made the transition from child star to adult horror icon. 

Me: Good point. I guess that wraps things up for today.

Well, thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to check back tomorrow to see who our next Best Horror Actor will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment