Friday 31 December 2010

I call him Mongo.

Okay. I can understand WHY people sneer at me when I say "I have a migraine." Too many people use that phrase when they mean "I have a really bad headache." I, however, know the difference.

A headache is pretty annoying.

A migraine puts you flat on your back.

When I say "I have a migraine," I mean that the muscles in my shoulder and neck have cramped up, my head feels like it's being squeezed in a vise and my eye is throbbing. Oh, don't forget that every light in the room is pulsing in time to my throbbing eye and that every sound I hear makes me want to throw up.

When you have a headache, you take a couple of painkillers and deal with it. I take a DOCTOR PRESCRIBED pill every night to try to prevent the migraines from starting plus another DOCTOR PRESCRIBED pill when the bloody things start anyway.

So when I say "I have a migraine" don't smirk at me and make jokes. It's not funny - it's an effing medical condition.

2 comments:

  1. Wondra, I know this is going to sound weird but have you tried cutting gluten out of your diet. I use to have migraines complete with motion sickness for days at a time to the point the pills no longer worked and I would have to go to the hospital. This was happening on a regular basis. As odd as it sounds, someone suggested I cut gluten out of my diet for just a couple months. At that point I was willing to try anything. Sure enough I went a couple months without a headache. I have been able to slowly introduce gluten back into my diet but constantly watch how much I eat. My body is not able to process it fast enough causing it to give me a migraine. I have had one migraine in the past three years. I consider that a success. I hope you find a way to live migraine free! They are so dang miserable. Nothing worse than not being able to stand light, dark, sound, quiet, breathing, your own dang skin...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one's ever suggested cutting out gluten before. Godess knows nothing else works. It can be pretty hard finding gluten-free foods, though, can't it? I've had a lot of people say that the migraine's stopped on their own as they got older but I don't want to wait that long! Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete