Sunday 26 June 2011

Book Review: Stefan's Diaries Book 3: The Craving

The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries Book 3: The Craving (Geez... Could it have a longer title?) follows Stefan as he flees from New Orleans to New York. Damon is there, fulfilling his promise to make Stefan's eternal life a living hell, as well as Lexi, a new witch and the first mention of the evil vampire Klaus.


This book has two things going for it:

1. It's short.
2. It wasn't written by LJ Smith.

Coming from a life-long LJ Smith fan, I know that sounds blasphemous but come on. Have you read any of the new Vampire Diaries stuff?

LJ Smith is one of the reasons I became a writer. (Her and my third grade teacher.) I could probably recite any book she wrote pre-2000 by heart. I even write LJ fanfic. I'm that kind of fan. But I simply cannot stand any of her new crap. Maybe if I was a 16-year-old anime freak I might be able to stomach it.

But I doubt it.

Anyway... This isn't about how betrayed I feel by LJ Smith's latest work (which I do), it's about how completely average and unremarkable TVD: SD's: The Craving was. If you're reading it just for the story, don't. The only merit this book has is as a supliment to the TV series.

2 comments:

  1. I have no desire to read the new stuff. I sometimes wish she'd finish her Night World series, but then I remember it'd probably reflect her new style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I keep reading it, either, because I hate it so much. Damon becoming a human had such potential but then he was a vampire again in a few chapters so why bother? Gah.

    I thought she'd already written the last one and was just having problems wth her publishers? It still annoys me that she never finished the Night World series after building it up so much.

    ReplyDelete