Sunday 26 June 2011

Movie Review: Gnomeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet but with a happy ending. Oh, and gnomes.


Okay. First of all, I'd just like to say that any movie about gnomes is an instant hit with me. Because... Well, who doesn't love gnomes? (One day, I'll share THE Gnome Story with you and you'll understand my obsession with the cheery little fellows. Then again, no... Maybe you wouldn't. Lol.)

Maybe it's because I'm too old. Or, maybe Disney just ruined me for other cartoons. (Do we still call them cartoons or are they called "animated feature length films" now? Bah.) When I sit down to watch a cartoon, I expect it to sweep me off my feet. I expect MAGIC, goddammit. True love, song and dance - the whole shebang!

Did Gnomeo and Juliet step up and provide the goods? Not by a long shot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not slagging the movie off. It was good. There were some pretty funny moments and many of the voices were pleasantly familiar. But there was no magic, no shebang. :(

Favourite line: "I'm not illiterate! My parents were married!" (Lord Redbrick) Because it's SO like something my brother-in-law would say. (Actually, what my brother-in-law said was "I'm not omnipotent! I can have children, thank you very much." Classic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment