Wednesday 30 January 2013

When winter came to Wales.

I've lived in this country now for nearly ten years. For the most part, the climate is very similar to the one I left behind in Michigan - with a few minor differences: the summers are more humid, it rains more, we rarely get thunderstorms, and it hardly ever snows. When it does snow, it normally lasts for less than a day.

Being from Michigan, I expect a lot more snow than that in the winter. I've often been disappointed.

But not this year!

This year all my snow dreams came true!


It snowed heavily for days on end this month. Six, to be exact - which was the number of days Jay and I were snowed in together. It was, for lack of a better word, awesome.

I tried not to be sad when the rain came back, driving all the snow away, but it was hard to go back to work after six days of couch surfing and playing Call of Duty. The next couple of days we had shocking weather: two of the mightiest thunderstorms I've ever seen here.

It was kind of awesome too.

(Anyone NOT worried about climate change?)

And now we're back to gale force winds and lashing rain.

I have to say that Blizzard 2013 really got me off to a good start for the year. I get really - REALLY - excited when it snows. (I'm like a child, honestly.) The sight of falling snow never fails to make me smile. So, although it was too brief, I am grateful for the snowfall we had this year.

(And in case you're wondering... I did have several accidents though none of them resulted in anything worse than a scrap. Snow without pain? Hooray!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm soooooo jealous. Here, it's either very hot or slightly less hot all year round. During the so-called 'winter' we get a day time high of around 22-25 degrees. No one here gets how amazing the cold weather can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard you guys were having, like, the hottest days on record. *shudder* I'd be a pile of Wondra goo by now! ;)

    I know what you mean. When people grumble about the snow here I just shake my and laugh. It's not winter without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have. It reach 46 degrees in Sydney!! I think our hottest day in Perth has been 42/43 so far. February is the worst month. Thank goodness it's also the shortest.

    People just like bitch. They bitch if it's hot. They bitch if it's cold. British people think complaining about the weather is their thing, but it's universal. At least here, Aussies really do have something to complain about!

    ReplyDelete