Sunday 3 February 2013

A Song for Sunday: Delta Rae, Morning Comes

This week, in honour of @Nurse_Arch5's recent discovery of them, my Song for Sunday comes from Delta Rae:



I cannot even say how much I love this band. Their music is country-ish without making me want to stick my head in the oven. (You know... "Mah wife done run off and mah dawg got hit by a tractor" shit.) As @Nurse_Arch5 said, Delta Rae is 'Southern music with an IQ.'

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I love the combination of foot stomping beats and soul searching lyrics. Delta Rae has been known to drive me to tears immediately after making me dance around the room.  (I'm not bipolar, honest.)

This song, 'Morning Comes,' is one of my absolute favourites. It's got the feel of someone who's been beaten down by life so many times that they're trying to find a reason to keep hoping. (Gee... Why would that appeal to me?)

The music video is an odd one. At first, the juxtaposition of the heavy lyrics with the playfulness of the video didn't sit well. But, after watching again now, I realised that it was sort of a metaphor for all of the crappy stuff life throws at you - and somehow getting through it all with a smile on your face. (Like the lyrics: 'But I'm keeping it steady, that's just how I was raised/Head held up, walking tall into each broken wave.')

At least... That's what I took from it. If you have other thoughts, please share!

Also, I'm always looking for new music so if you have something you'd like me to consider for A Song for Sunday, please comment, tweet, or facebook share. I'll give anything a go once... Even "Mah wife done run off and mah dawg got hit by a tractor" shit. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment