Wednesday 5 February 2014

WednesDIY: Melted Crayon Art

I've been having a lot of fun with this crafty art project:

Melted Crayon Art


Melted crayon art is super fun and easy - but can be time consuming. I probably should have started with just straight up melted crayons, without attempting any fancy silhouette work, but I'm a feet first kind of person.


It's as easy as lining up the crayons and hot gluing them onto a canvas before melting them. I did learn a couple of important things with my first attempt at melted crayon art, though, that you should know before you start:

1. Stick to bright colours if you're going to do a black silhouette. The darker colours don't work well against the black.

2. If your wax is dry when you go to pull the tape off, it's going to break in a really unattractive way and you'll just end up having to do it again. Pull the tape off while the wax is still wet.

3. Did I mention this project is time consuming? It took about three hours, from start to finish (but it was a long canvas).

My second attempt went a lot more smoothly:


I used a heat tool to create my melted crayon art. You could use a hairdryer if you don't have a heat tool but it won't give you the same level of control. Whichever you use, prepare for flying wax. No matter how careful you are, it's going to happen. I'm still scrapping stray bits of wax off my table.

You may notice that, for the second one, I didn't use Crayola crayons. Not intentional. I just couldn't find enough Crayloa crayons in the area where I live so I bought a different brand instead (which turned out to be a whole lot cheapear) and they worked just fine.

Ideally, you should draw the silhouette on with black Sharpie before you start melting but I opted for painting it on afterward with acrylic instead and I was happy with the effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment