Monday 1 October 2018

Wondra's Halloween Bucket List

Hello, October!

If you're anything like us, the first day of October marks a month-long celebration of all things creepy and kooky. If you're not, you might be in the wrong place.

Halloween-themed activities are already underway here at Castle Vanian - including a rather large paper mâché pumpkin that I'll be able to share with you soon. What else will we be up to this spook-tacular month? Here's a sneak peek...

Wondra's Halloween Bucket List: 

✅Raid the Halloween section 
Oh, yeah. Been there, raided that. The Halloween sections still aren't great in this country but they're getting a lot better. Keep an eye on my Instagram account for new Halloween goodies I find.

Enjoy a Pumpkin Spice Latte
Confession time: I, Wondra Vanian - Halloween baby - have never ever tried a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Let the "Shame!" chants begin... Seriously, though, I'm dying to try one. What are your thoughts on the famous (or was that infamous?) PSL?

Haunt up your house
Renovations continue at Castle Vanian so don't expect too many decorations cropping up inside. Outside, though... we had a lot of work done in the garden this past summer (thanks lovely neighbour!) so I've got more space than ever to haunt the garden up. Expect big things - like Hagrid-worthy paper mâché pumpkins.

Haunt up the neighborhood
Am I the only one with a burning desire to scare the pants off my neighbours? 😁 I fully plan to hide at least a few of these bad boys around the place. What else can I do to make our neighbourhood a little more haunted this Halloween? Bombard me with your spooky suggestions!

Write/read scary stories
Okay, this is pretty much a given considering... hello, horror author, but still. I haven't read much horror this year (don't tell anyone but I get super freaked out) so it's time to fix that. My favourite ghost story to read is The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. What's your favourite? Know of any good horror anthologies I should read? I want to hear your suggestions!

Get your Halloween craft on
Autumn is a great time for crafting. It's magical, with some truly inspiring things happening right outside your window. (Plus, you don't get all that horribly sweaty, sticky crap you do in the summer. Boo hiss, summer.) I especially love to knit and crochet this time of the year (arthritis willing.)

✅Make yummy apple treats
This is even better if you can pick the apples yourself. One of our favourite autumn treats is apple crumble (which is too yummy with custard on top) but you can also try apple butter, apple sauce, apple pie, etc. etc. What's your favourite recipe that uses apples? Share it so we can give it a try.

Nom on caramel apples
Make them if you can, buy them if you can't. It isn't really Halloween until you've sunk your teeth into a deliciously messy caramel apple.

Cook with pumpkin/squash
This is another of those times I ask for your recipes. While there are buttloads of great pumpkin recipes out there but most of them are pretty tricky to pull off it you can't get your hands on canned pumpkin. (Thanks, Britain. Get it together!)

Cuddle by a bonfire
Ah, autumn, the season of cuddling. *sigh* It's nice when the temperature drops just enough to draw us together. Get a crackling fire going (inside if you can't have one outside), wrap up in a cozy blanket, and stay warm together as the nights grow long.

✅Stay up late watching scary movies
Well, that's pretty much every night here at Castle Vanian but, this time of the year, everyone else is doing it too so we don't seem quite so odd. 😉 The nights are getting longer so you've got even more time to scare yourself silly as Halloween creeps closer.

Have a classic monster movie marathon
One for the whole family! The Universal monster movies are a great to start with if you've got kids because they're spooky but too terrifying. Even if you don't have kids, they're great to revisit for some classic creepy fun.

✅Sing along to The Nightmare Before Christmas
Like you need an excuse to do this! It's about noon on October 1st and I've already been singing my heart out to this one. Don't forget to plonk yourself down on the sofa and watch this one again as Halloween nears.

Try a creepy cocktail
Surprisingly (for someone who loves her rum as much as I do), I've tried very few Halloween-worthy cocktails. Hmm... this may require a few hours of research on Pinterest...

Have a Halloween photoshoot
Yourself, the kids, your pets, a model, or just nature herself. You know what? Just go outside with a camera and shoot the heck out of that shit. It's too gorgeous not to!

Bob for apples
It occurred to me that I haven't bobbed for apples since I was a teen - and I don't think Jay ever has. Gotta be done, right?

Fill up on candy corn
Ah, one of the things I miss the most about America. I know the issue of candy corn divides even the most obsessed Halloweenophiles (is that a word?) but if you don't like it, you're wrong. Candy corn is absolutely essential for Halloween.


Visit a pumpkin patch
There really aren't many in Wales that you can visit. In fact, I know of ONE, which is just plain sad. If you live in South Wales and can point me in the right direction, I'd love you forever.

Go to a haunted house
And we have another British failing. *sigh* Yeah, they don't do those corny Halloween haunted houses that we love so much in America. But, there are plenty of actual haunted houses around so that could happen, right?

Look into the future
Halloween (Samhain) is the time of the year when the veil between the worlds is at its very thinnest, which makes it the best time for divination. It's also the witch's new year, which is another reason to do a full tarot spread. Whether it's scrying or tarot, don't miss this opportunity to peak into the future.

Honor the dead
This is a must for your Samhain celebrations. Halloween is a night for remembering the ones we've lost. Traditionally, candles are lit in windows to light their way home but, if you'd rather keep unquiet spirits away, leave a plate of food outside as an offering instead.

Dress up your pets
Or, you know, kids. Whatever you've got, lol. (I can feel my husband rolling his eyes at this.) Yes, I am the owner of a lapdog who enjoys putting them in ridiculously cute costumes for any occasion. Should I be going to some sort of support group? 😉

Paint/Carve pumpkins
This one can be tough because of my arthritis. Every year, I get more and more help from the hubs but I'd be in agony the whole damned month before I'd go without carving at least a few pumpkins during October. I'm a geeky pumpkin kind of person, while Jay is a creepy pumpkin person. What kind are you?

Make roasted pumpkin seeds
You can't carve pumpkins and not roast the seeds. That would just be... wrong. How do you roast your seeds? Are are a plain salt & pepper kind of person or do you like to get freaky with flavourings?



Enjoy a haunted cake
With my birthday on Halloween, I've gotten some pretty wicked cakes over the years - everything from graveyards to vampires - and I'm always excited to see what the next monstrosity will be. Are you a baker? Do you have plans for a Halloween cake? Share pictures so I can drool over them!

Get dressed up
Not just normal cosplay, which isn't all that weird around here, but proper all-out Halloween costumes. Do you have plans for your Halloween costume already? I'd love to dress up as Ursula or even Oogie... we'll see what I come up with.

Pass out candy
Every year I'm ready, and no one ever turns up. Come on, people! Bring your kids trick-or-treating at Castle Vanian! (We're not as scary as we seem, promise.)

Go to a Halloween party
Or, as I like to call it, Birthdayoween. I've been in the UK for 15 years and I've never had a birthday party here. Isn't that sad? (I've had two back home in that time but since going home isn't going to be a possibility with that orange numbskull in office... *sigh*.) So... who wants to throw Wondra a Birthdayoween party?

Well, there you have it, my Halloween bucket list. What's on yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment