Wednesday 6 March 2019

Book Review: Ignite (Midnight Fire: Book 1) by Kaitlyn Davis

Ignite by Kaitlyn Davis (and now available free for the Kindle) is  the first in a series of books that follow Kira, a normal teenage girl who learns she’s anything but normal. Kira is a vampire hunter with magical abilities - and not just any vampire hunter... she’s a hybrid that should never have existed with super-duper, extra special magical abilities.

Oh, and she’s in love with a vampire (Tristan.)

These days, any YA novel not written in first person gets instant points from me. Calling out and rejecting a love triangle? Bonus points. It starts to lose points, though, when the influences of popular books/television like Twilight and Buffy the Vampire Slayer become glaringly obvious.

And, let’s face it, the technical ability is just not there with this one. Poor grammar and cringe-worthy typos nearly ruined an otherwise decent reading experience. The right editor could have taken Ignite from so-so to spectacular. Sadly, however, they did not.

One of the things that annoyed me most about this book was Kira’s constant crying. That’s pretty much every YA book lately, though, right? Gods, I’m sick to death of tearful teens. Don’t know about you, but I spent most of my teen years pissed the fuck off, not sobbing. Just saying...

An annoyance unique to Ignite is Kira’s seeming omniscience. She knew this, she new that, she knew... EVERYTHING, apparently, though the narrative never explains exactly how. Kira knows Luke (her immediate BFF) for less than a week but perfectly understands his every facial twitch. Sorry, but I’m gonna have to call bullshit on that one. I’ve been married for over 15 years and I still don’t know what that dude’s thinking half the time.

It sounds like I’m coming down hard on Ignite but, honestly, I enjoyed it. I’ll always, always, always fall for the we-can-never-be-together, forbidden love affair. Did I enjoy Ignite enough to bother with any other books in the series? ‘Fraid not. It just didn’t sell the romance enough to keep me coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment