Monday 22 July 2019

Book Review: Pestilence (The Four Horsemen #1) by Laura Thalassa

Pestilence by Laura Thalassa is the biggest surprise I’ve gotten from a book in a very long time. When I started reading it, I thought, Ugh, first person, present tense and almost put it down right then. But, a few of pages later, I came across the phrase, “Oh, for fuck’s sake” and I knew it couldn’t be all bad.

Yes, the language is what originally appealed to me about this book - not for the shock value of just for vulgarity’s sake (though we all know I am a true vulgarian) but because it’s real. It’s natural. This is the way people really think and talk and it’s nice to have that realism. Too many novels try to cover up with awkward, flowery language so this was a nice change of pace.

And, honestly, the first person, present actually works in this case. The tenses don’t get muddled and it flows perfectly.

The premise behind Pestilence is intriguing. It’s essentially a dystopian novel (and you know I gobble that shit up like freaking hotcakes) with a religious twist. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have ridden, killing electricity in their wake and sending the earth into darkness. The survivors try to rebuild their lives, which goes okay for a few years.

Then, Pestilence rides again.

The story starts as bad ass firefighter, Sara Burns, tries to kill the horseman (and fails spectacularly because, you know, sent-by-God and all) who takes her prisoner. It follows their ride across North America and the strange relationship between them. I was a bit worried at first that it was going to get all Stockholm Syndrome but it’s handled so much better than that. You get to watch these two amazing characters grow into themselves and around each other.

Beauty and the Beast eat your heart out.

And OMFG did I mention the sexual tension?! Pestilence is hawt. It teases for ages but eventually delivers big time. This book has superb chemistry.

Usually, seeing too many “cocks” in a romance novel is a major turn off for me because it comes across as crass and jarring. But, because Pestilence was created to challenge my pet peeves, it fucking works. The language is consistent all the way through so when you get to all the “cocks”, it just feels natural.

Speaking of pet peeves, you’d think once it got to all the God stuff I’d start to get a bit twitchy, right? Nope. It’s handled in a down-to-earth, rational way that makes it part of the story, rather than a sermon. The bits I expected to have me rolling my eyes had me tearing up instead.

I actually ended up giving myself a migraine because I couldn’t put this book down. (100% worth it.) I’m so glad there are so many books by this author because I think I might be a junkie now.

No comments:

Post a Comment