Wednesday 20 October 2021

Castle Vanian Halloween Special: Haunted Houses: The Legend of Hell House (1973)

 It’s hard to go from the likes of Burnt Offerings, which had no atmosphere and no real horror, to The Legend of Hell House. They’re only, what, three years apart? I guess what I’m saying is that The Legend of Hell House proves that it was totally possibly to create terrifying supernatural terror without too many effects…

You have to put it down to the director, I suppose. The Legend of Hell House was definitely ahead of the game in the genre at the time, but I also think that, when it comes to Burnt Offerings at least, you’ve got to say the director dropped the ball.

Mind you, with The Legend of Hell House… let’s be honest, these days, it would get a PG. There’s not real gore or violence. It’s quite tame now.

You say it’s quite tame but, even so, it’s extremely effective. And by effective, I mean spooky as all get-out. I’m glad I watched it during the day.

Yeah, it is spooky. It’s got good atmosphere and uses camera angles well. There’s also the underlying score… this constant sound, with wavering music notes really adds to the feeling of unease.

You’re a lot more familiar with the cast than I am. I only really recognized Roddy McDowall. What are your thoughts on the cast?  

It’s a good cast but Roddy McDowall plays a key role as the only psychic to have survived the last attempt to study the house. Whatever he’s in, he steals it. Look at Planet of the Apes or Columbo or FrightNight. If Roddy McDowall was in it, he stole it. I so wish I could have met him. They said he was extremely knowledgeable when it came to films and had a massive collection. That might have something to do with why he was such a great actor.

What about the Big Bad, Emeric Belasco (Michael Gough?)

Well, it’s like Fischer says, Belasco was a genius. He planned his death, making sure his corpse was put in a lead lined room so they couldn’t get rid of his spirit. It is quite clever.

I couldn’t help but think of Trump when they were talking about Belasco. Someone who thought he was this giant but who was actually this little man? I mean…

Right, Belasco was portraying himself as something he really wasn’t. In death, though, he could become that.

Belasco’s obsession with his stature… is it vanity or is it a need for power?

Both. I think he couldn’t stand ridicule. Like you said, it is very Trumpesque.

The Legend of Hell House is a great, spooky movie, which is impressive because it didn’t have a lot of CGI to rely on like modern haunted house movies. How does it manage that?

That’s what makes The Legend of Hell House so good, isn’t it? That’s how it beat out all the modern movies to make the top of the list. The whole time, it’s little noises, almost like a wind howling in the background, and the odd scream. There are little things moving, like a door opening. But nothing’s overdone. It doesn’t overreach.

You’ve got that voice as well, when Belasco’s talking through the woman. It isn’t scary, just arrogant and condescending, which is bad enough.

I had to Google it because I always thought The Haunting from 1999 was a remake of this movie. They’re so similar – but apparently, it’s meant to be an adaptation of The Haunting of Hill House. I just don’t see that. It obviously draws massively from this film.

I would have said the same thing. They’re very similar, even down to the psychic testing. Unless you told me, I would’ve assumed The Haunting was a remake of this film.

You said before about The Legend of Hell House beating out modern movies. Can you expand on that a little? Why this one made the top of the list?

Why does a 1970s film beat all the modern ones? Quite simply, atmosphere.

I want to say not to be put off by its age. Because The Legend of Hell House is just four people inside a house, it still holds up very well, despite its obvious age. It’s well acted. It’s a little hammy from Roddy McDowall, maybe, but you’d expect that.

I’d be disappointed if he didn’t ham it up a bit. You know, like Shatner.

Right.

I have to ask… if you had the chance to go investigate a haunted house like this one, would you do it?

My arrogance says yes. But the moment I got there, I know my brain would take control and be like, “What the hell are we doing here?!”

No comments:

Post a Comment