I came across a recipe for Stuffed Potato Balls on craftster today and, of course, I had to try it.
I didn't follow the recipe exactly. Here's what I did:
1. Boiled potatos. I only had smallish potatos so I used half a bag. I don't know exactly how many I used but it made 6 balls. (It was about the amount I'd use to make mashed poataos for two people.)
2. Diced up 1 yellow bell pepper and 1 red onion.
3. Fried up 1/2 lb. of lean minced beef.
4. Tossed in the peppers and onions with the beef.
5. Mashed the potatoes. The recipe on craftster said not to use any salt or anything in the mash but I would recommend seasoning it. It's a lot of potato and you don't want it to be bland.
6. Grated some cheese.
7. Made an indent in the poatoes and stuffed with with meat and cheese.
8. Covered with more mashed potatoes and shaped into a ball.
9. Scrambled up two eggs (no milk or anything) and rolled the ball in it.
10. Rolled in bread crumbs and deep fried. Yum!
It's definitely a party food. (I made it with spaghetti bolognese - just in case. I wasn't sure how much food it would be. They turned out to be smaller than a tennis ball but bigger than a golf ball.) The DH gave them 8/10.
You can check out the step-by-step (with pictures) by following the link at the top.