Friday 26 August 2016

Best Films for Back-to-School

It's that time again. Let the parents rejoice for the kids are going back to school!

Isn't Autumn sweet?

Now that you've got some time for yourself, why not curl up on the sofa and enjoy one of these back-to-school treats?

Wondra's Top 10 Movies for Back-to-School

1. Kindergarten Cop
I must have seen this movie dozens of times - and I still laugh my ass off every time I watch it. You really have to have experience in the classroom to appreciate how hilarious it is. Plus, it's got danger and a bit of romance. Can't beat it.
2. 10 Things I Hate About You
I love, love, love this film. It definitely takes me back to my high school days. Angst, angst, angst. And, a young Heath Ledger? Yum. Also, the soundtrack rocks and the supporting actors/actresses are brilliant.
3. Clueless
From a Shakespeare adaption, to Austen. Emma, as told by the Nineties. The worst part of the Nineties. It's fabulous, and cringe-worthy, and very sweet.
4. Teen Wolf
We have another tie. I just couldn't choose between Teen Wolf and Sixteen Candles. They're both absolutely must-watches, for different reasons. Okay, so Teen Wolf is basically just a coming-of-age, learning-to-accept-yourself story, right? Sure... except for the werewolves. But the reason I love it is that Scott doesn't hide the wolf; that everyone is just like, ''Oh, hey, he's a werewolf. No biggie.'' I want to live in that world.
4. Sixteen Candles
This movie is outrageous. (And it won't be the only time you see Molly Ringwald on this list.) I still can't decide whether it was Geek or Dong that stole the show - but the love story was secondary to the comedy, which is nice. Sure, it's angsty - it's a John Hughes movie, after all - but the comic element keeps it from being overly so.
5. Lean on Me
Lean on Me is a favourite from way back - and one of Morgan Freeman's greatest performances. It gets next to no attention, though, which I don't understand. My husband would argue that this space should belong to To Sir, With Love. I guess it's a generational thing. They are similar, in a lot of ways, but Lean on Me hits harder, which is what appeals to me.
6. Easy A
Is there anyone who hasn't wanted to become exactly what their classmates accused them of being? Well... my classmates called me a witch, so I guess sometimes they get it right. Emma Stone is a brilliant actress anyway, but she brings a cheekiness to this role that can't be beaten. You're probably wondering where Mean Girls is, right? Nope. This one is much cleverer.
7. Election
You can't watch Election without saying, ''Oh, that's just wrong,'' at least once. Seriously. It's messed up. In so many ways. But it's like one of those car crashes you can't look away from. And I bet you knew at least one Tracy Flick. Bet you still hate them, too...
8. Breakfast Club
One of the most iconic school flicks ever. If you think of typical high school cliques, there's a pretty good chance you'll think of this movie. I do, anyway. The fact that Breakfast Club boils down the entire student body into five core stereotypes isn't what appeals to me, though. I love this movie because, let's face it, it's cool as fuck. We all wanted to rebel against the establishment, right? Of course, some of us would have had to actually serve our detentions to pull a Breakfast Club...
9. American Pie
It shouldn't surprise you to see American Pie on my list, even though I'm not a big fan of the gross-out movies. I mean... it came out my senior year. It celebrates that end-of-high-school feeling you get when you realise you might never see your classmates again. Trying to live it up while you can. Endings and beginnings. Of course, I don't like gross-out movies, which is why American Pie landed so low on my list. Thanks for the memories but EWW.
10. The Faculty
You can't have a back-to-school list without at least one horror movie. Personally, I loved school. I always preferred being there than being at home. For obvious reasons. But, I know that school is hell for plenty of students. The Faculty plays on that feeling that educators are monsters. It's horror lite, if you know what I mean, but it's good fun. Interestingly, it almost lost out to Teaching Mrs. Tingle, for the LOLs.


What are your favourite back-to-school movies? Be sure to share in the comments box.

No comments:

Post a Comment