Thursday 3 January 2013

Mr. Darcy, Vampire

When I talk about writing fanfiction, I see some of my friends, family, and work colleagues' eyes glaze over. They don't "get it."

That's okay.

I didn't get it either - until I started. @whatsherf8 would tell me about the fanfiction she'd read and I'd be all like, "What? That's not REAL literature, is it?"

Damn right it is. Some of it is, in fact, exceptionally well written. (Yeah, a lot of it is shit, but still.)

It started with Ship Wars (Go, Team McSpirk!)  and just kept growing. Sure... It takes away from my "real writing" time but it keeps me in practice when I'm just "not feelig" any of my WIPS. Plus, it's a way to visit characters I love and miss.

Trouble is...

I struggle to just write fanfiction. What I need is a challenge.

Luckily, a friend rose to the occassion and presented the Pride and Prejudice Fanfiction Challenge. The exact terms of the challenge have been long lost but, for some crazy reason, we're still going! (I suspect I'm losing but we'll ignore that fact.)

When we started, I decided that there were two things I was going to do: 1. turn Mr. Darcy into a vampire and 2. keep the language as close to Regency as possible.

Who knew it would be so difficult to do both at the same time?!?! (Certainly not me!)

But, four chapters in, I'm still happy with how it's going. Check it out for yourself, and let me know what you think:

No comments:

Post a Comment