Saturday 9 October 2021

Castle Vanian Halloween Special: Demonic Dolls and Creepy Toys: Annabelle: Creation (2017)

I was a little surprised that Annabelle: Creation made the Number 2 spot over a cult movie like Child’s Play. What made you lean toward this one?

It’s a good film. Mind you, I loved all the Annabelle films  the whole Conjuring franchise. The fact that they’re all based on a real couple makes it all so much better.

The difference between this and a movie like Child’s Play is just time. It’s newer, cleaner, more relevant, and easier to watch.

I’m glad you mentioned that because I wanted to ask you about the production quality…

Well, it’s Warner Bros so… there are a few companies out there who when they do a horror film, they don’t skimp, you know? They wouldn’t risk their image for the sake or poor props or sets. I can’t think of any really bad Warner Bros horror movies that I’ve seen. They’ve got a standard.

Do you have any favourite scenes in Annabelle: Creation?

There are so many good jump scares in Annabelle: Creation. From pretty much start to finish, even at the very end when you’re staring at the doll waiting for her to move, there are it’s sting after jump.

I think my favourite moment, though, is when the girl is asking what they want and they answer in a deep man’s voice, “I want your soul.” That’s a helluva moment.

Give me a quick recap, just in case anyone is unfamiliar with the plot.

It’s Annabelle’s origin story. You learn how this evil doll came into being. I like that, even though it’s Annabelle’s story, it’s not really just her story. You don’t know what’s happening – why it’s happening – until you get that moment with Mrs. Mullins (Miranda Otto) in her bed, quite late in the movie.

What do you think of the dialogue? Do you think the fact that it’s set back in time a bit has any effect on that?

I think it makes it easier, if anything. When you set a movie in the past, even a few decades, like this, it stops it from dating. If you set the movie now, make it very modern, it dates quickly. The dialogue was perfect for the time.

Did you have a favourite character in the movie?

I liked Sister Charlotte (Stephanie Sigman.) She was down to earth and a little cheeky. I don’t have a fixation with nuns or anything but if they all looked like her, I might have.

I feel like I should scold you, but considering my thing for Gabriel Byrne in Stigmata, I don’t think I have any right…

Talk to me about the acting.

Considering its such a young cast – the orphaned girls are the main cast – it’s very good. I think it goes back to that Warner Bros thing. It’s a company that would have been happy to recast it if it hadn’t work – but it did. steal the show, the little girls. Janice (Talitha Eliana Bateman,) in particular because she was the girl who ended up getting possessed.

Which of the Annabelle movies was your favourite?

I think the first Annabelle movie is my favourite. It’s just the originality of it, seeing something new for the first time. After that, you kind of know what to expect.

Any last thoughts?

Well, I’m looking forward to The Nun 2. I love at the end of Annabelle: Creation, you get that first, tiniest look at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment