Thursday 14 October 2021

Castle Vanian Halloween Special: Wicked Witches: The Craft (1996)

We approached The Craft from two very different places. I was a teen witch when I saw it the first time and you were… what, almost thirty?

About twenty-seven, twenty-eight, yeah. I didn’t beeline to The Craft when it came out, but I was aware of it and I was looking forward to seeing it. God, it was VHS back then.

Feel old yet? Hah.

So, what was it like watching it again after so long?

It’s been about twenty years since I’ve seen The Craft. It’s weird how I remembered it differently. I forgot just how manic Fairuza Balk was in it, for starters. She just has that mental look about her. So striking, with that mouth and those blue eyes. She really could have passed as a Goth in the 80s.

It still holds up very well. Some of the effects are a little ropey but all in all. It’s really a very good movie. When it starts out, you’re with them. They’re the outcasts because they’re a little different. Not being American, it’s different for me. We kind of had cliques in school but not like America. It seems like a horrible place to be if you don’t fit in. It was never really like that here.

You’re looking at it from the inside, though. You were the popular kid, the jock. You never had any problem with being an outcast…

I dunno… I mean, knew so many people. I never stuck to just the rugby team, I was happy to stop and chat with anyone. I never had any problems, really, and don’t remember ever seeing anything like that. You always had your bullies, but you’d have someone who stood up for the bullied…

Do you think you would have done the same thing in their shoes? Do you think you would have been able to resist the power?

Who could? If you had the power to get revenge, wouldn’t you? To get your life on track? If you suddenly gained magic powers or were suddenly bitten by a radioactive spider, you would. Who wouldn’t want it – and who wouldn’t abuse it? And how petty would you be?

I’ve seen me in line at the grocery store. It’s a good thing my magic isn’t quite so instant. Lol.

The Craft was a double-edged sword for me. As a teen witch, it was an amazing movie. It made us feel bad ass and empowered. Unfortunately, it started this wave of wannabes that really became a nuisance.

Well, I suppose it’s like being a goth in the 80s. You’d have people who weren’t really goths. They were the weekend warriors who’d spike and backcomb their hair for a night, then go back to be normal people the next morning. They didn’t live the lifestyle, they jumped on the bandwagon. I can understand why people would be drawn to The Craft. Why they would be looking for that sense of belonging. People just want to belong to a group.

Did you have a favourite actor and why was it Fairuza Balk?

Yeah, basically. Let’s be honestly, Fairuza Balk stole The Craft. It was her movie. You had four great actors in Robin Tunney, Fairuza Balk, Neve Campbell, and Rachel True and the greatest – the one with the most potential – Fairuza Balk, just kind of fizzled out. I never understood that. She was on her way up, but I have no idea why she never became a bigger star than she is. She’s still out there, still working, but she’s nowhere near as big a celebrity as she should be.

You mentioned the rest of the cast…

It was well directed and had a great cast. Skeet Ulrich as the creepy boyfriend was great. He was one of those rising stars at the time that never burned as brightly as you expected too. In The Craft, though, even Skeet Ulrich was overshadowed by Fairuza Balk.

You know… if Tim Curry and Frances de la Tour had ever had a kid, you’re looking at it. Someone’s missed a chance to cast those three together.

There are some hints of modern Wicca in The Craft – things like the “So mote it be” and the Rule of Three. As an outsider, did The Craft ever make you think that’s what witchcraft is really like? I’m asking because I really did get that a lot after this movie came out.

No, not at all – and who the fuck was asking that? The Craft is a far cry from The Wicker Man. Casting spells and lighting candles? Absolutely. Flying around the room? No. Love spells? Sure. There were definitely people I dated way longer than I should have…

I’ve always loved witchcraft (not Satanism.) I’ve been involved with Satanists and I didn’t like it. You suddenly become very aware that something’s not right there… it really fucks with your mind.

Well, you know witchcraft and Satanism have nothing to do with each other so…

I know, I know… I was just thinking about some of the girls I’ve dated.

You definitely have a type... 

Do you want to say anything else about The Craft?

The Craft was, pardon the pun, well crafted. It was clever and nicely shot. That’s why The Craft isn’t top of the list but it’s close. It ticks all the boxes.

It still holds up well today. This one really could be a movie from last year, it holds up that well. Even the fashions don’t date it that much. The only thing is the lack of technology. The proof is in the pudding since they just did The Craft: Legacy and I’m so glad Nancy was in it at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment