Sunday 17 October 2021

Castle Vanian Halloween Special: Haunted Houses: Thir13en Ghosts (2001)

Thir13en Ghosts is one of my favourite horror movies. It’s got just the right blend or horror and humour that makes watching it a lot of fun. What are your thoughts on it?

It's exactly like you say, a lot of fun. Plus, it's got a clever story. When I first saw Thir13en Ghosts, I didn’t know it was a remake.

Did you ever get around to watching the original?

I did. I didn’t like it as much. The effects of the remake are far superior.

It has that very late 1990s/early 200s feel so you know it’s gritty and gory and a little weird, especially when it comes to the ghosts. Those things still creep me out. They are gruesome as fuck. Did you have a favourite?

Besides the naked women? I liked the Great Child and The Dire Mother. The bit where Rafkin (Matthew Lillard) is backing up and it’s just there, glaring at him is a powerful moment.

This movie has a great cast. I’ll watch just about anything with Matthew Lillard in it but Shannon Elizabeth and Tony Shalhoub really hold their own, with Shalhoub doing a lot of the emotional work. Which was your favourite actor/character? What are your thoughts on the acting?

The movie was well-acted. Matthew Lillard was quite hot property at the time so it’s no surprise the movie was sold on his being in it. And he stole it. The rest were kind of generic. Maggie was awesome, though. I love that she had the last line at the end.

Thir13een Ghosts has a couple of really nasty deaths. It does more lurking than jump-scares but doesn’t miss out on those. I think my favourite moment, though, is Rafkin’s very chill peace out at the end, totally the opposite of his character the rest of the time. Like death was kind of a relief for him. Did you have any favourite moments?

There are some really good moments. Just picking one... It’s so action packed and fast-moving. It starts at a pace and doesn’t let up. Trying to pick one moment from so many is just impossible.

A lot of the lines that amused me the most came from the babysitter, Maggie (Rah Digga) – whose character brings up the whole token black person thing in a big way. Her character was pretty much just there to be the funny black woman. Anyway…

It was pretty obvious, mind.

Right. One of my favourite lines comes when they’re looking around at this crazy glass house and the father says, “Okay, first rule: no throwing stones.” That appeals to my sense of humour. Did you have any favourite lines?

The last lines from Maggie: "This is it for me. I am on the first fuckin' plane back to Newark. Uh-uh. I am sorry, family, Kathy, Bobby, uncle, ghosts. I am sick of this nanny shit. I've had it. This was not in the job description. I quit!" And earlier, when Maggie says, "Family, just so we're all clear, Ms. Maggie does not do windows."

Thir13en Ghosts was one of those movies that’s perfect because it stands on its own. There’s not really anywhere to go with this one, is there? Once it’s done, it’s done. What did you think of the ending?

You know, the ending was quite similar, in a way, to House onHaunted Hill. Both a bit saccharine. The ghosts come back to save them and they get away and everyone loves each other. I prefer movies like The Mist, where it’s a nasty ending.

Anything you want to add?

It was very of its time, and very memorable. It relied less on CGI than House on Haunted Hill because the ghosts were different. You didn’t have to make this entity out of nothing; they used it more on scenery than the people so it was more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment